J. Allen Axson Montessori School is the only elementary Montessori school in Duval County. The Montessori method uses hands-on materials in a self-paced curriculum within a multi-age classroom. See our flier.
To be eligible for the PK3 program your child should be three (3) years old by September 1. Applications are to be turned in to the school and can only be made after a tour of school has been completed. Pre-K magnet seats are given out on a lottery basis with sibling preference as the only available priority. Tuition is $327/month (extended day fees if applicable are extra). Call J. Allen Axson for more information.
Grades K – 1
Applications should be sent downtown for students interested in these grade level openings. Kindergarten students must be five (5) years old by September 1.
Grades 2 – 5
Applications should be sent downtown for students interested in these grade level openings. Students will only be admitted to these grades if they have previous Montessori experience.
What is the continuity track?
Continuity: Our school has the following continuity: Axson Montessori to John E Ford Montessori Middle School. Fifth grade students must fill out a magnet application to John E. Ford. See http://www.magnetprograms.com/.
Each January the Magnet Office of Duval County Public Schools mails home a Magnet Application to students currently enrolled in Duval Public Schools. There is a deadline for turning in this application that must be met to be eligible for the magnet schools.
We are offering tours on the following dates.
November 10th, 17th
December 8th, 15th
January 5th, 6th, 12th, 13th, 19th, 26th, 27th
February 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 17th, 18th, 23rd, 24th
Please call 992-3600 to set up a tour time or if you have any questions about the tours. Parents are asked not to bring children to the tours as you will be going into working classrooms. Students in 2nd grade through 5th grade must bring proof of Montessori experience to the tour in order to get your Magnet Application signed. By getting your Magnet Application signed you receive an advantage in the lottery.
In addition, the school will host an Open House January 2012. This is a unique opportunity to see the Montessori method of teaching in operation at a Duval County public school. The Montessori method uses hands-on materials in a self-paced curriculum within a multi-age classroom. Classrooms will be open so that you may see students interacting with each other and their teachers.
- The first priority of the lottery is neighborhood preference for students who live in the former attendance area of a dedicated magnet school.
- The second lottery priority is military dependent, for a student who has a parent on active duty. (Students must meet eligibility requirements when applicable, follow application procedures, live in Duval County and submit active duty orders and emergency data recort.
- The third lottery priority is sibling preference for a student who has a brother or sister residing at the same address who attends a magnet program at the same school and is eligible to return next year. Siblings applying for the first time are not eligible to receive sibling preference. (Parents completing a blank application form must provide name and student ID# of sibling already attending the school
- The fourth lottery priority is elementary students whose neighborhood school is a Title 1 school and who apply to attend a magnet program in a non-Title 1 school.
- The fifth priority is for students whose parents who attend a tour or open house at the magnet school they are applying for in our attendance zones and have a signature.
- The sixth lottery priority is drawn from all students who apply to J. Allen Axson but who did not tour the school and do not have a signature.
- The lottery is drawn in April of each year for the following school year.